Learn how to add subtitle for Kodi. This guide for you to unleash the power of Kodi by adding subtitle to get a richer experience watching movies online
If you have got Kodi, you must know how powerful Kodi for streaming movies and music online. This tool has tons of excellent feature, Kodi is free, compatible for major devices, easy customized skin and also third party add-ons which offer large movies database.
However, some of you may still don’t know a very essential feature from Kodi, which is subtitle support. You wont watch a movie with no understanding how the story goes, that’s why the subtitle is important.
If you want to know how to add subtitle for Kodi then read through the end of article. We are going to guide you step-by-step instruction below.
- Before we start, I recommend you to change the Kodi display from FULL SCREEN to WINDOWED mode by pressing Kodi shortcut “\” (BACKSLASH) on your keyboard. With this, you can easily read the guide while you operate Kodi.
- To head back to the previous tab, press “Backspace“
- Back to the Home Page, press “Esc“
How to Add Subtitle for Kodi
- First, launch Kodi. On the home page head to SYSTEM – Setting then click Video
- Now you will see, Setting level button on the bottom-left window, the default is “Basic setting“, now click it to change to “Standard level”
- Next, select “Subtitle” menu then scroll down and find “Languages to download subtitles for“, click it then choose your default subtitle language you are looking. Here I use English as example.
- Now, scroll down a little more and click “Default TV show service“. Note that to scroll down, I recommend you to click using your mouse on the scroll bar next to it, cause I found that using mouse scroll wont bring you to the bottom of the page.
- A small window will pop, click “Get more“. you will see a list of subtitle services available. Here we pick the most reliable one which is opensubtitles.org. Now scroll down, find it then click it.
Now, wait for Kodi to download the subtitle service. Once you done, do the same for “Default movie service”
- For this point, you can skip to number 8 if the subtitle service doesn’t need login account. However, for opensubtitles.org you need to register opensubtitles, then login with your account on Kodi (don’t worry its free).
- After you done with the registration you need to configure it for Kodi. To do this go to Home Page select SYSTEM > Settings > Add-ons > My Add-ons > Subtitles > select the service add-on (here opensubtitle.org) > Configure. Next, enter your username and password on the available form, make sure you enter correctly otherwise you will fail to login later on. Now click OK
- Now, head back to Home Page then play your movie. Click on the subtitle setting then select “Download“.
Here, you will automatically attempt to login to opensubtitles. If you entered the wrong username or password, an error message will popup tells that you failed to login and error searching for subtitles Kodi.
Otherwise, If succeed and have logged, you will see a list of subtitles language you have set before. Now, to make sure you get the best subtitle, pick one with 5 stars. And Done
That is how to add subtitle for Kodi. You can also pick other well known sources of subtitle such as Subscene, just do the same steps above. With this feature enabled, you can enjoy more movies that using other than your native language. Happy watching and don’t forget to share.